F20 118 petrol

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, Lambster, marco_polo

Jkhan
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 7:06 am

Re: F20 118 petrol

Post by Jkhan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:34 am

seamaster wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:07 am
71.9 mpg! How did you manage that? Best I have seen is around 48mpg on a steady 60mph motorway run in
Comfort mode. I have the 218i with same engine as yours and car weight is about the same.

What do you get around town?
Round town I get low 30s. To answer you question about how I achieved 71.9, not sure really. I have kept the car in eco pro mode,I used cruise control 96% of the Journey. The journey did incur some usual London traffic and the road going up to Westfield Shopping centre was a spiral road predominantly done in 1st gear. Then starting the engine up from cold, slow traffic through Hammersmith and stop start traffic to join the M4. I am still unsure how I got such a high MPG figure, with all of that traffic?

Additionally the next quarter of fuel used was 100 miles and all of it was on the motorway apart from the last 2, and again the car was in eco pro mode and the use of cruise control. I drove in the same way as I did to achieve the 71.9, that quarter I got only 34.9mpg.

So overall the combined MPG was 51.3.

mupet0000
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Re: F20 118 petrol

Post by mupet0000 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:30 pm

My mileage is at 800 now, I've done a few long runs and found that the economy is quite good at around 45mpg. I think the reason for my poor fuel economy in town is probably the effortless acceleration from a standstill at roundabouts and junctions. I do a LOT of town driving, and a lot of very short journeys, I am constantly negotiating many roundabouts and junctions. With my previous manual car I was always quite gentle accelerating away but now with this auto I find it very easy to just go that bit quicker, and I suppose all of those little blips of the throttle from a standstill are probably killing my average consumption.

I am going to try a much lighter foot and see how that changes my town fuel economy. As of right now, town stop-start driving is getting me around 19mpg, I'm certainly not thrashing it but I could be slower from a stand still.
2019 F20 118i LCI2 M Sport [Shadow Edition - Black 18" Wheels, HK, Leather, M Sport Brakes, Extended Storage, Sun Protect Glass, Cruise, Rear PDC] - Auto - Mineral Grey - Folding Mirrors, Black Panel, Pro Nav Retrofit, Automatic A/C, Heated Seats.

VRS
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:58 pm

Re: F20 118 petrol

Post by VRS » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:59 pm

mupet0000 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:30 pm
My mileage is at 800 now, I've done a few long runs and found that the economy is quite good at around 45mpg. I think the reason for my poor fuel economy in town is probably the effortless acceleration from a standstill at roundabouts and junctions. I do a LOT of town driving, and a lot of very short journeys, I am constantly negotiating many roundabouts and junctions. With my previous manual car I was always quite gentle accelerating away but now with this auto I find it very easy to just go that bit quicker, and I suppose all of those little blips of the throttle from a standstill are probably killing my average consumption.

I am going to try a much lighter foot and see how that changes my town fuel economy. As of right now, town stop-start driving is getting me around 19mpg, I'm certainly not thrashing it but I could be slower from a stand still.
Glad you're seeing an improvement. Auto's do tend to drink more fuel than an equivalent manual would. The extra weight and as you say you tend to need to floor them more to say drop down a gear in which you wouldn't need to do in a manual doesn't help matters. Fortunately BMW auto boxes are one of the best available so that is always a bonus.

User avatar
Toby-Wan Kenobi
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: F20 118 petrol

Post by Toby-Wan Kenobi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:21 pm

On a 70mph motorway run over 2 hours, I see around 49-52mpg which includes around 10 minutes of urban driving either side of that. The eco-pro mode does nothing to help apart from set throttle response to an intolerably slow level!

I've had the 118i manual for around 10,000 miles now: generally if you're easy on the throttle the economy is good in all areas (town driving, A/B roads etc), remaining in the mid 40's. When you start driving the car 'dynamically' the best you'll get is 36/38mpg, which is still pretty good.

Hope you're enjoying the car!

User avatar
Dan Goddard
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Re: F20 118 petrol

Post by Dan Goddard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:35 pm

I’ve been able to consistently get 45mpg over a 170mi journey from Glasgow to Lancaster - in my M140i... Eco pro is excellent, I just set cruise to 67mph and try to avoid getting in any races


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 M140i Shadow Edition Sapphire Black ZF8

mupet0000
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Re: F20 118 petrol

Post by mupet0000 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:36 pm

I'm happy to report that a lighter foot has given me a significant MPG boost in town. I also find Eco Pro to be helpful in town as it changes up quite early and isn't eager to rev out the engine. It does dull the throttle response quite a bit but all I really need in town is gentle acceleration towards the next set of traffic lights so it works quite well. At the moment I'm seeing around 35MPG in town in Eco Pro with a lighter foot, that's better than my previous 1.6L 316i manual.

On my most recent long run I got 47MPG over about 100 miles, with at least 10 of those miles going through towns.

Spooling up that turbo really kills fuel economy in these 3 cylinder engines. I do really like the engine but if you drive it quite briskly in town you will get poor economy, if you drive it hard you will get M140i economy.

It is disappointing overall as I'd much rather have fun with the 6 cylinder M140i engine and pay for the fuel, rather than have a 136bhp engine and pay a similar amount in fuel. Unfortunately I've only been driving just under 3 years (with a claim due to a hit and run on my parked car) and my insurance on a 140 is too high to consider (minimum 2K premium with a 3K excess).
2019 F20 118i LCI2 M Sport [Shadow Edition - Black 18" Wheels, HK, Leather, M Sport Brakes, Extended Storage, Sun Protect Glass, Cruise, Rear PDC] - Auto - Mineral Grey - Folding Mirrors, Black Panel, Pro Nav Retrofit, Automatic A/C, Heated Seats.

Tiberius
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Re: F20 118 petrol

Post by Tiberius » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Toby-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:21 pm
On a 70mph motorway run over 2 hours, I see around 49-52mpg which includes around 10 minutes of urban driving either side of that. The eco-pro mode does nothing to help apart from set throttle response to an intolerably slow level!

I've had the 118i manual for around 10,000 miles now: generally if you're easy on the throttle the economy is good in all areas (town driving, A/B roads etc), remaining in the mid 40's. When you start driving the car 'dynamically' the best you'll get is 36/38mpg, which is still pretty good.

Hope you're enjoying the car!
That's very good. I had a manual 4 cylinder 1.2TSI. MPG was fantastic but as soon as you start averaging 60-70mpg the fuel economy fell significantly.

Small engines are their best when you cruise and coast sensibly. Drive dynamically or fast and the difference between a small and big engine is smaller than what most people think.
Cars:
-19' M140i SE, AW, MP LSD, Birds B1 Suspension(Adaptive delete), Heated Seats, Power Folding Mirrors, F&R PDC, Rev.Camera

-19' X3 20i M-Sport, Adaptive Suspenion, Pro Nav, Icon Headlights, Parking Assist Plus, Power Folding Mirrors

User avatar
Toby-Wan Kenobi
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: F20 118 petrol

Post by Toby-Wan Kenobi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Tiberius wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:29 pm
Toby-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:21 pm
On a 70mph motorway run over 2 hours, I see around 49-52mpg which includes around 10 minutes of urban driving either side of that. The eco-pro mode does nothing to help apart from set throttle response to an intolerably slow level!

I've had the 118i manual for around 10,000 miles now: generally if you're easy on the throttle the economy is good in all areas (town driving, A/B roads etc), remaining in the mid 40's. When you start driving the car 'dynamically' the best you'll get is 36/38mpg, which is still pretty good.

Hope you're enjoying the car!
That's very good. I had a manual 4 cylinder 1.2TSI. MPG was fantastic but as soon as you start averaging 60-70mpg the fuel economy fell significantly.

Small engines are their best when you cruise and coast sensibly. Drive dynamically or fast and the difference between a small and big engine is smaller than what most people think.
You're absolutely correct. Reminds me of that Top Gear test between the E92 M3 and a Prius. The Prius was ragged around the track and the M3 just had to keep up, guess which car had the highest MPG?

Can't wait for the day when my insurance premiums come down enough to justify a straight 6!
F21 118i M Sport LCI (B38) Manual

Lowered on Eibach Sportlines, 12mm spacers all round, Michelin PS4's, Black Kidneys.

User avatar
Dan Goddard
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Re: F20 118 petrol

Post by Dan Goddard » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:04 am

Yep ^^

At the end of the day it takes a certain amount of energy to accelerate an object (car) to a certain speed. Obviously it’s really about how you drive and especially with petrol cars, engine size doesn’t make as much of a difference as you’d think.

Tax on them is £140 a year and the insurance for me is £550 - which are the same running costs as I was paying on an 8 year old 2.0 diesel 5 series! No brainier to upgrade ha
2019 M140i Shadow Edition Sapphire Black ZF8

mupet0000
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Re: F20 118 petrol

Post by mupet0000 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:32 pm

If anyone uses Fuelly, I would be interested to see your results. Here's mine:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw/118i/2019 ... 000/927698

My latest entry was a large majority town driving and I've also just filled it up with Tesco 99RON to see if it makes any difference whatsoever purely out of interest.

I've found driving it with a very light foot in eco really can get good MPG in town but anything more than a light foot, even a little bit of "good" acceleration and it drinks a lot. Long driving/cruising I can near 50MPG consistently. The issue for me is I don't particularly like ECO mode due to the very reduced throttle response, but in comfort it changes gears later and holds the revs higher which uses more fuel.

It's a shame I don't have paddles or I would try manual mode, don't really like using it with the auto stick.
2019 F20 118i LCI2 M Sport [Shadow Edition - Black 18" Wheels, HK, Leather, M Sport Brakes, Extended Storage, Sun Protect Glass, Cruise, Rear PDC] - Auto - Mineral Grey - Folding Mirrors, Black Panel, Pro Nav Retrofit, Automatic A/C, Heated Seats.

poiuytre111
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:42 pm
Location: Amersham

Re: F20 118 petrol

Post by poiuytre111 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:54 pm

I bought a 3 cly 1.5 diesel 1 series 2 months ago. While I accept the points below I think the "smoothness" is acceptable but my issue is that there are simply fewer power strokes per revolution so you need to use more revs that would be the case with a 4 cylinder. This is probably irrelevant for auto cars or drivers who like to use higher revs but I have a manual car and used to poodle along, (with N47 engined cars), at engine speeds between 1200 - 1500 which I now can't do. I don't like it much.


Leeabr14608 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:17 am
Think this explains better than I can...

As correctly mentioned above, the inline 3 suffers from a rocking couple caused by the fact that when a piston at either end is at a dead centre (i.e. TDC or BDC) it is not opposed by another piston in the same position. For example: cylinder 1 is at TDC. This brings cyl 2 to 120 deg BTDC and cyl 3 to 240deg BTDC (firing order 1-3-2). Cylinder 1 is making a large upwards force by being at TDC. Cyl 3 is making a downwards force approaching BDC. This has the effect of pushing the engine up at the front (cyl 1 is at the front). The reverse happens when cylinder 3 is at TDC. This is known as a pitching couple. We can ignore the effects of cylinder 2 because the couple is acting around the centre line of this cylinder.

Counterweights are attached to the crankshaft as on any crank to alleviate the main bearings from excessive loading by counteracting a percentage of the rotating mass above the crank centreline. However we can use the counterweights to also balance some of the reciprocating mass (i.e. the piston and a portion of the con rod), which if fitted to the crank webs of cyl1 and cyl3, can reduce the pitching couples.

However we then have another problem. When a crankpin is at 90 deg, the reciprocating mass has no effective primary force (cosine 90 deg = 0). So our extra counterweighting is now causing a horizontal force at this crank position since it has nothing to counteract.

What we've now done is reduce the pitching couple but at the same time introduced what is known as a yawing couple.
2016 116d Sport
2013 X3 Sdrive
2006 Volvo C70 T5

mupet0000
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Re: F20 118 petrol

Post by mupet0000 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:34 pm

There really doesn't seem to be much information on premium fuel with the b38 engine. I just used one full tank of Tesco 99 ron in my 118i. I'm not surprised to find that I didn't notice a difference in performance or fuel economy.

The fuel filler cap says 95 ron, the cars manual says 95 ron recommended and 91 ron minimum (UK fuel is minimum 95 ron anyway). It doesn't mention anything about using a higher grade fuel other than the engine has knock sensors and adjusts accordingly depending on the fuel used.

Originally I was going to fuel up with 99 ron at least 3 times, but honestly I feel as if I'd be wasting money. The car had 99 ron in it over a 3 weeks before I was at a range of 50 miles and needed to fuel up again. That's plenty of driving and time for the engine to adjust to the fuel, if there was a difference worth noticing I would have noticed it.

The fuel economy is always great with long motorway driving, I recently saw 50.4mpg average on a 50 mile trip. What I really wanted to see was if premium fuel helped with cold startup driving and stop start consumption. I'm not convinced that it did help with anything.

I generally don't do many miles (hence why I often go 3 or 4 weeks without a fuel up). I was curious more than anything. If anyone has tried premium petrol in their car with a B38 engine, I'd like to hear your feedback also.
2019 F20 118i LCI2 M Sport [Shadow Edition - Black 18" Wheels, HK, Leather, M Sport Brakes, Extended Storage, Sun Protect Glass, Cruise, Rear PDC] - Auto - Mineral Grey - Folding Mirrors, Black Panel, Pro Nav Retrofit, Automatic A/C, Heated Seats.

Post Reply

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”