Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: driving to Europe-what do i need ?

Post by barneyrubble » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:17 am

Useful info here:

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdow ... -in-france

https://www.drive-france.com/faqs/franc ... lyzer-law/

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/

Re breathalyzers - the law states you must have one, but there is no penalty for not having one! And we think our laws are mad.
Black Sapphire Metallic M2 LCI

ukdiceman

Post by ukdiceman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm off to France in a couple of weeks and have just been through this...

The links already mentioned will show everything required.

Speed camera detectors/GPS locaters are illegal in France and other countries so remember to disable them if you have them.
Don't forget if you wear glasses for driving you must have a spare pair with you..
Take your log book with you, as well as insurance certificate, and ring your company to let them know which countries you are visiting.
Breakdown cover, I went with BMW Insured emergency cover(Europe) a full year as I already have their warranty.
Remember on the spot fines are quite common, if you can't pay at the roadside they will take you to a cash point and if you still can't pay they can impound your car, so use that "LIM" button!

A Vignette is required in Switzerland and Austria to use their motorways, you can purchase as you cross the boarders at petrol stations.
225d M-Sport Mineral White

BFleming
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BFleming » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:38 pm

I drove to Spain 4 weeks ago (and back 2 weeks ago); I used the Radarbot app, which was brilliant at locating speed cameras. I stuck to the limits 99.99% of the time, but used the app just in case.
On French speed cameras & UK prosecutions, they've started getting information from the DVLA now about owners details. Also if you speed in tolled sections, you may well get pulled over as you exit that section - I saw several tool booths with police loitering just after them doing just this.
The toll tag is invaluable; I didn't have one for Spain, and I was on my own, so that made life a bit trickier - not that there are many tolls in Spain.
Fuel on French autoroutes is really expensive - I saw Diesel at €1.70, whereas it was €1.20 fairly consistently through Spain. Not sure about Petrol as I wasn't interested!
I had the hi vis jackets in the car, a GB sticker, beam deflectors (as a 5 series with halogen lights does NOT have a flat beam despite projectors). If you're going to fit them, do them the night before you leave home, not on the Eurostar. I also had the breathalysers - useless as they are, they are indeed mandatory in France. Warning triangle, first aid kit (in date - they have an expiry date), and a fire extinguisher too. So I covered all bases.
I found tyre pressures varied quite a bit depending on the outside temperature, so it's worthwhile checking them whilst you're away. You notice these things on a fully loaded 5 series.
Lastly, bring your insurance certificate, breakdown cover details, and a copy of your registration document. Continental Europe doesn't care that the UK only has one registration document, if they ask to see it you have to produce it - they're ok with copies.
2013 BMW F20 114i SE
2013 BMW F11 525d SE
2000 Porsche 986 Boxster 2.7
1998 Kawasaki ZX6R G1

GingerOtter
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by GingerOtter » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:13 pm

Just on breakdown cover (hopefully not required) most if not all Motorways in France are privately owned. If you have BMW breakdown cover, BMW aren’t allowed to recover off the motorway. You need to use the official phones on the side to call recovery, then call BMW breakdown cover and they’ll sort you out once off the motorway. Any fees the official motorway recovery people charge you can claim back from BMW.

Not sure if this applies to any other provider but it’s in the small print of BMW and Land Rover recovery T&Cs.

Madness.
66 M140i, Auto, F20, Sapphire Black, ACS Sports Suspension, Focal audio upgrade

Incoming: M340i

17 LR Discovery HSE Lux

Previous
RR Evoque Dyn Lux
Z4 35is M DCT (2X)
Seat Ibiza FR

ukdiceman

Post by ukdiceman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:22 pm

GingerOtter wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:13 pm
Just on breakdown cover (hopefully not required) most if not all Motorways in France are privately owned. If you have BMW breakdown cover, BMW aren’t allowed to recover off the motorway. You need to use the official phones on the side to call recovery, then call BMW breakdown cover and they’ll sort you out once off the motorway. Any fees the official motorway recovery people charge you can claim back from BMW.

Not sure if this applies to any other provider but it’s in the small print of BMW and Land Rover recovery T&Cs.

Madness.
This is a good point, and some policies I looked at will only pay for the recovery upto a fixed amount, there is no limit stated on the BMW policy.
225d M-Sport Mineral White

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:31 pm

ukdiceman wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:05 pm
Speed camera detectors/GPS locaters are illegal in France and other countries so remember to disable them if you have them.
Again, not so much what you need, more what you mustn't have but, in some countries, dashcams can be either restricted in use or illegal. Austria and Portugal for example.
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

tonirai
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tonirai » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:28 am

GeeDee wrote:dashcams can be either restricted in use or illegal. Austria and Portugal for example.
I'm Portuguese. It's a bit unclear to say the least... Dashcam footage has been used in court and for insurance decisions, and lots of drivers are installing them more and more each day - none of them reporting having problems.

This is feedback from national auto foruns.
I'm in the process of installing one myself (waiting for some parts related to powerbank installation).

And some cars are starting to sell with a dashcam, even here - Citroën C3, for example.
On the other hand, if one wants to ask the dealer to install the oficial bmw cam, he can't, because, like you said, the bmw instructions restrict the sale and installation of it in our country, for legislation reasons.

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:25 am

Anyone from Austria who can comment??

I'm off there later in the year and don't really want to disconnect it. Maybe I can call it a radar detector :lol:
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

tobyjames

Post by tobyjames » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:57 am

Just a thought. Do you need a speedo indicating km/h? Mine only does mph, and I can't find a way to change it. Most speedos used to have both on them. Would the GPS speed indication on google maps be OK?

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”