trebor
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Wireless ChargePad Install

Post by trebor » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:58 pm

Here is the finished result:
Wireless ChargePad .jpg
Wireless ChargePad .jpg (145.29 KiB) Viewed 548 times
So I already had a generic charge pad inside the centre armrest plugged into the USB, but this was giving me a few issues. 1. I'd like to have a USB stick of music plugged in there; 2. Sometimes it didn't appear to charge - seen references to the USB port being limited in power and maybe if the phone battery is low it pulls too much power and the port shuts down thus stopping the charge; 3. I keep leaving the phone in the armrest when I get out of the car.

I had also already previously removed the panel from under the glovebox (just 2 x 10mm bolts to remove then pulls off a few clips) and put in a multi-12V unit under there fed from the single 12V socket in that panel to run my Dashcam and RoadAngel.

So I trimmed the wireless charge mat to fit the space where there was just a rubber mat in front of the 12V socket/cup holders. The front I cut straight but the rear had to be angled to fit neatly against the angle of the panel behind the space, tucked the cable behind the trim and out into the space under the glovebox, wired it into a spare socket in the the 12V splitter I'd installed under there previously with a plug-in 12V USB socket.

My phone is in a silicone coated case and certainly with normal day to day driving grips onto the rubber charge mat fine and hasn't yet flew off into the footwell. (been testing it here temporarily for a week or so).

This is the wireless charging pad I used https://www.amazon.co.uk/MASO-Wireless- ... =8-1-fkmr0
Estoril Blue M140i Shadow Edition 5-dr Auto, Black Leather & High Gloss interior
Adaptive Suspension & LED Headlights, Media/Nav Pro, Folding Mirrors, Front & Rear PDC, Rear Camera, Heated Seats
Blackvue Dashcam & RoadAngel Pure

Haldon
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Wireless ChargePad Install

Post by Haldon » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:49 pm

That is amazing, tapped power of the 12v connection there?

trebor
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by trebor » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:22 pm

Haldon wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:49 pm
That is amazing, tapped power of the 12v connection there?
Yes, disconnected the plug from the 12v socket and used it to wire in a 3-way device. Feeds my dashcam, RoadAngel and the wireless charger.

If going on a right proper blast can still put phone under armrest and plug it into usb cable to save it from moving, but so far with normal driving and a few blasts off roundabouts it hasn’t come off the pad.
Estoril Blue M140i Shadow Edition 5-dr Auto, Black Leather & High Gloss interior
Adaptive Suspension & LED Headlights, Media/Nav Pro, Folding Mirrors, Front & Rear PDC, Rear Camera, Heated Seats

Haldon
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Haldon » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:25 pm

Good job, will put on my wish list!

maverick83
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by maverick83 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Excellent! Looking to do something similair in mine. What charging pad did you get?
2013 M135i

trebor
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by trebor » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:58 pm

maverick83 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:54 pm
Excellent! Looking to do something similair in mine. What charging pad did you get?
the charge pad is linked at the bottom of the first page

JamesB197

Post by JamesB197 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:08 am

Link not working in Amazon (hopefully not discontinued). Can you please give the item name.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

F22 M240i auto - Birds B2 suspension, Quaife LSD, MPE, front silencer delete, auxiliary intake mod, MHD Stage 1, Xhp Stage 2

trebor
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by trebor » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:26 pm

MASO Wireless Car Charger Mat 2 in 1 Dashboard Mat with QI Fast Charge Non Slip Silicone Pad Car Mount Phone Holder for iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S9 /S8 /S7e

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Does this generate any heat ?
Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

trebor
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by trebor » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:38 pm

When I had it in the cubby hole under the armrest the phone would get really quite hot charging on a 2 hr drive.
Much better now though, just gets warm.

Matthaus
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Matthaus » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:34 am

This is great! did you take the tray out to hard wire it in?
BMW 135i Coupe - Sold
BMW M240i Coupe - Finally arrived!

trebor
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by trebor » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:23 am

No, just trimmed the pad to fit snugly in the tray, cable just ticks under the trim and into the space under the glovebox.

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”