Where is the instrument panel lighting sensor?

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, Lambster, marco_polo

120D-X

Where is the instrument panel lighting sensor?

Post by 120D-X » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:12 pm

I use my dipped headlights as my DRLs on my 2016 120D so I have rear lights as well as front lights at all times.

I want the instrument panel to be at full brightness regardless of the ambient lighting externally but I cannot find any way to stop it dimming.

I think there must be a sensor somewhere that increases/decreases the lighting in the panel and I'd like to cover that with a bit of black tape to stop it functioning and keep the panel at full brightness.

Does anyone know if there is a sensor and, if so, where it is on the dashboard please?

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Where is the instrument panel lighting sensor?

Post by marco_polo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:16 pm

On the windscreen, under the rear view mirror.

Blocking it would make the car think it's night all the time, and permanently turn the brightness down to stop the dash dazzling you.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

tonirai
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tonirai » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:43 pm

You know you can just program what you want with something like bimmercode or Carly?

I have DRL activated at the rear - you can even choose between all the headlight, or just the outer/inner part (I have the inner).

I know the instrument light can also be separated from the idrive, but never looked into it because it's not something that bothers me.

Leaping Lumbago
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Leaping Lumbago » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:51 am

Slightly off topic, but has anyone ever figured out a way to separate the interior lighting from the dash lighting?

I’d like to have my dashboard fairly low, but keep a decent Orange flow from the interior lights in the roof.

120D-X

Post by 120D-X » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:18 pm

Thank you for your replies. I shall go and have a little play but thinking about the sensor location I suspect the SATNAV will go dark on me which I don't want!

Coding is probably the way forward.

Anyone in or near the SN8 postcode?

RickN55

Post by RickN55 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:30 pm

120D-X wrote:Thank you for your replies. I shall go and have a little play but thinking about the sensor location I suspect the SATNAV will go dark on me which I don't want!

Coding is probably the way forward.

Anyone in or near the SN8 postcode?
Maybe buy a Vgate OBDII dongle and Bimmercode for around £50 and then you can change your rears to be on as DRLs all the time and change a lot of other stuff as many times as you want when you want.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

F21 2013 Alpine White M135i ZF8 PWG (Poor mans iDrive, Sun protection package + 20 percent tints, Driver comfort package, Bum Warmers, Black Panel, HK, Hex trim, M Performance grills, rear spoiler and fins)

tonirai
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tonirai » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Leaping Lumbago wrote:Slightly off topic, but has anyone ever figured out a way to separate the interior lighting from the dash lighting?

I’d like to have my dashboard fairly low, but keep a decent Orange flow from the interior lights in the roof.
Like I said above, it can be done, but never looked deep into it.
Nevertheless, I've got this link in my favorites about that subject (F20 is the same way as F30):
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1159626

Leaping Lumbago
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Leaping Lumbago » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:11 am

Thanks Tonirai.

I’ve had a couple of goes at coding but can never get anywhere with it. The user guides have me completely lost about 2 sentences in usually!

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”