Baby BMW Forum banner

F20 116D ES Injector Issue

3K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Manyon24 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help me.

I have had many issues with my new car purchase :(
Car constant EML light, checked ISTA D found mass airflow errors and injector zero quantity adaption errors.

What I have done:

Cleaned the EGR.
Cleaned as best I could the EGR Cooler - off the car.
Cleaned where I could fit cleaner and hands into the intake
Cleaned Map
Cleaned Maf then replaced with one from Ebay also

Now when the car is warm it run great, very good, fun, fast, no pinking and NO EML :)

Now when the car is cold it runs like rubbish, feels like some jerking about and the engine feels like its on 3 cylinders but not quite maybe poor 1 cylinder.

I have run ISTA D when cold and I used some functions to make some tests that I do not fully understand, BTW no EML and no fault codes stored to ECU.

Injector Zero Quantity test

Zero Quantity Adaption:
Cylinder 1: 169.1
Cylinder 2: 22.9
Cylinder 3: 40.6
Cylinder 4: 34.2

Setpoint -60.0 to 60.0

The next page says replace injector 1, I am not 100 sure I should do that as it could be something else causing it. Is this a big job, is there a video to replace, and does anyone have a high reading on just one of there injectors for adjustment?

I ran another test for smooth running, however the injectors are in spec for that test :/

Please any help.

Kind regards

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
I have done some reading and now found out that it can take the up to 10 minutes for the car to find the correct Injector adaption settings, as Cylinder 1 is very high 169 this would explain the bad idle until the engine finds the correct setup.

Before I cleaned the engine parts I mentioned above I got Cylinder 1 Injector out of range, as in the car could not set the injector any higher, had thrown an EML with that one.

Now I have cleaned some engine parts I get 169 zero adaption and no EML, my thinking is that anything attached to Cylinder 1 running, Injector, inlet valves, cylinder needs to be more thoroughly cleaned to get that number down. I will try more cleaning today, the best I can as I dont know how to remove the injector. No doubt on a cold start the engine will come from rough idle to smooth idle faster if I can drop that number.

Lets see.

#6 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have reset the Maf adaptions and Egr Adaptions this morning, car was cold.
I probably have exhausted my options now.

Cleaned in intake again with a more robust cleaning agent with longer hose, the car still runs bad when cold, feels like 3 cylinders some jerking of motor after 5-10 minutes car runs perfect.

Anyone any ideas or had this with a diesal?

Mike

#9 ·
Maf fault were : Calculated to high: P115D is the MAF measures higher air flow than it acctualy should be.
The other was for Injector one could not be Zero-quantity adaptation, injector, cylinder 1: permissible filtered activation duration correction too high.

By cleaning the intake and resting and running I have seen these errors going, the more I cleaned the intake the more the errors and eml never came on. Now I dont ever get an error or EML light. The engine still runs rough when cold, but I would say it was better, thats why I reset all the adaptions as BMW themselves after cleaning would have todo that.

#11 ·
Glow plugs have not been inspected yet, I dont have a clue how to take them out to be honest, used to work be working on old petrol cars. The car has 86k with full service history, I did the last one with Halfords myself, I always get a service on a second hand car.

#15 ·
Manyon24 said:
Maf fault were : Calculated to high: P115D is the MAF measures higher air flow than it acctualy should be.
The other was for Injector one could not be Zero-quantity adaptation, injector, cylinder 1: permissible filtered activation duration correction too high.

By cleaning the intake and resting and running I have seen these errors going, the more I cleaned the intake the more the errors and eml never came on. Now I dont ever get an error or EML light. The engine still runs rough when cold, but I would say it was better, thats why I reset all the adaptions as BMW themselves after cleaning would have todo that.
P115D is caused by the EGR cooler being blocked. When the EGR opens the gas flows through the cooler then into the inlet. As this happens the air volume being sucked through the air filter and past the MAF drops. The ECU knows this and expects to MAF reading to drop when the EGR command is sent. When it doesn't see the drop it causes that code, the ECU of course doesn't know the EGR cooler is blocked. If you didn't remove the manifold from the head it will still be choked with carbon, i presume you cleaned it at the front where the charge pipe connects ? The swirl flaps will be absolutely caked in carbon which on a cold start up can cause what feels like a misfire.

#16 ·
Tiffster said:
Manyon24 said:

P115D is caused by the EGR cooler being blocked. When the EGR opens the gas flows through the cooler then into the inlet. As this happens the air volume being sucked through the air filter and past the MAF drops. The ECU knows this and expects to MAF reading to drop when the EGR command is sent. When it doesn't see the drop it causes that code, the ECU of course doesn't know the EGR cooler is blocked. If you didn't remove the manifold from the head it will still be choked with carbon, i presume you cleaned it at the front where the charge pipe connects ? The swirl flaps will be absolutely caked in carbon which on a cold start up can cause what feels like a misfire.
Hi,

Thank you for your response, this sounds very much like what I am feeling then.

I have ordered an injector and new copper washer as I found one brand new half price. £170 all in with surcharges and delivery.

I will do both steps if I can afford it. 1.injector 2. Intake

Never taken the intake off a diesel before and it looks a bit beyond me, I need to get a quote to have it taken off and cleaned and do both jobs.

Then I will get ISTA all adaptions reset I guess and see where this takes me.
Shame the virus has closed so many Garages, hard to find anyone to work on it.

Thank you

#18 ·
Open your bonnet and have a look for the swirl flap motor.

I know what you mean, the 116D is listed as not having them but for some bizarre reason they sometimes do have them. Did you clean out the metal pipe that comes from the EGR cooler into the inlet ?

If you are changing the injector get injector bolts too, they are single use. You will need an accurate torque wrench too for installing it. If you take the manifold off you'll need the seals which are about £30 from BM

#19 ·
Tiffster said:
Open your bonnet and have a look for the swirl flap motor.

I know what you mean, the 116D is listed as not having them but for some bizarre reason they sometimes do have them. Did you clean out the metal pipe that comes from the EGR cooler into the inlet ?

If you are changing the injector get injector bolts too, they are single use. You will need an accurate torque wrench too for installing it. If you take the manifold off you'll need the seals which are about £30 from BM
Ok perfect looking for those parts now :)
You have been super helpful, I would not have done that, I have the injector and copper washers.

Edit Yes I cleaned that part.

I have just run the car again and done another smooth run test.

Result,

When throttle from idle to 3500rpm using ISTA smooth run procedure I see that only cylinder one climes adding fuel 5mg the other three cylinders lean out at high rpm, I believe that higher rpms should show leaner running. So this cylinder and injector is all very odd.

Found a mechanic to clean the intake, I need to order those gaskets you mentioned first now though :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.