Covid 19 - Is is everyone OK?

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Covid 19 - Is is everyone OK?

Post by SamM140 »

Paul W wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:43 am
SamM140 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:48 pm
Paul W wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:55 pm

rather you than me - why go to an office if you dont need to. doesnt make sense when the infection rate is still high
For a change of scenery / some form of social interaction. I’ve been working from home for over 10 weeks now and I’ve had enough (and that’s from someone who would usually do all they could to be out of the office). Locally the infection rate as a percentage of the population is pretty low too.
think everyone is in the same posiion

when not travellign I try to get at least one day a week in the old office to see my old team I used to managae and take the p*ss

not being able to travel and conduct customer meetings without face to face has been a bigger impact on me than going into the office

that said I woudl stuill not risk going into an office if you can work form home - our offices are on staged reopening and when you look atthe environment they have to work in why bother;

- face masks complusory
- desks miles apart
- still cannot socially interatx as nrtonal - hand sakes, man hugs etc

I think it would be more frustrating

I also think mental well being of workign from home is vastly overcooked - i love the office banter but not being at the office has not really affected me at all - end of the day you are employed to work so if most of the imes youa re missing talkign to people then clearly work utlisation is in question

I agree change of scenery would be welocmed but when I look at how peopel cannot repsect soscial distancing and seeing the BBC documentary inside ICU I would rather stay at home

i can't wait to get back into the office to see work friends etc bit looking forward more to seeing customers and the world which is going to be some time away - 2021 at the earliest for us i reckon
We’ve not been given any idea of what our offices will be like when they do reopen and I imagine it’ll be a different across the country depending on whether we are the sole occupier or not.

My other half is a bigger risk to us getting it than the office given she works for the NHS. I think I’m just generally missing social interaction. Our little boy is and he’s really starting to struggle to cope now which isn’t making me feel great as I’m at home in my tod with him. Working, schooling and general parenting a five year old at the same time really doesn’t work. We had hoped that he’d have been able to stay at school even just for a few days a week with my other half being a key worker but his school would only accept kids whose parents were both key workers.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Plus my other half’s 2007 116 cheapy project

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

HN1989x wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:25 pm
SamM140 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:31 am

There in lies the danger, especially when he weather is nice; sone people will always toss it off if at home. I’ll sometimes nick a bit of extra time (longer lunch, early finish etc) to do stuff like gte pit on my bike when I work from home but I don’t see that as an issue because there are plenty of time’s when I work late etc. It’s swings and roundabouts for me (I still think they win though!).
Of course! When I'm working from home - I'm at the fridge about 15 times a day. I feel a bit more relaxed and would pop into the garden for my cup of tea but I am not taking the p*ss at all. The work is getting done at the end of the day! The problem starts when the work isn't being done.

The staff that are claiming to be scared of the virus and that the boss' are putting their health at risk are the same ones who are taking their children to the park to play with other kids. :roll:
I think a large number or people are in for a bit of a shock; there’s the furloughed worker who seem to be either chomping at the bit to get back and those enjoying a paid holiday. I do wonder how many will play the safety card once there is some pressure to go back.

I think if you treat people like an adult and accept there will be the odd slack day providing the effort is put in when needed I think you’ll be rewarded as en employer. Trouble is there will always be those that do what they can to push boundaries and bin it off.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Tiberius
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tiberius »

SamM140 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:28 am

I agree that a hybrid will probably be the way forward for most and that’s what I’ve been doing for a few years now; at home a few days so I can do some of the school runs etc. It suits me on another level in that it’s saves my com which frees up a bit of time in the nicer months for riding bikes etc after work. I also find that when I’m snowed under, locking myself away at home can be more productive than being in the office because you avoid the chats etc plus I can work late without being home late because I save the commute.
In my previous job I always worked from home on Fridays and almost always on Thursday too. I would block out those days with fake meetings so that I can be head down and get work done before an onslaught of meetings on Mondays and Tuesdays.
SamM140 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:36 pm
I think a large number or people are in for a bit of a shock; there’s the furloughed worker who seem to be either chomping at the bit to get back and those enjoying a paid holiday. I do wonder how many will play the safety card once there is some pressure to go back.
We all have different life circumstances. Whether you want to return to work or not depend on personal finances, creature comforts at home and whether you have children(and their age). I have a 4 year old and a walking 1 year old.

I look forward to nurseries reopening as it would be beneficial for both them and I if they can attend nursery again.

However I won't complain as I am not self employed or run a business that have been financially devastated by covid.
Cars:
-19' M140i SE, AW, MP LSD, Birds B1 Suspension(Adaptive delete), Heated Seats, Power Folding Mirrors, F&R PDC, Rev.Camera

-19' X3 20i M-Sport, Adaptive Suspenion, Pro Nav, Icon Headlights, Parking Assist Plus, Power Folding Mirrors

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty »

SamM140 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:31 am
HN1989x wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:50 am
Yes, a lot of people can work from home. The issue is a lot of people aren't actually working. The staff in my office are treating the lockdown as a holiday.

I think the bosses in my office have been closely monitoring staff's productivity throughout the day. I'm not even sure if what they are doing is legal or not!

Our IT dept are able to see what time people logged in and how often the mouse goes "idle"! They are also running reports to see how many postings are made per day and if demands have been sent out on time. The results have been shocking to say the least. :shock: It also explains why I am waiting 6 hours for responses to emails and nobody being available when I call. Or when I finally get a response to an email, it says "Sent from my iPhone" at the bottom :x

That and all of the Instagram/Facebook stories I see of my colleagues in the parks, baking or having BBQ's during the day.

I'm not saying everyone is doing this, because I certainly wasn't. However, many are. Including my friends who have been doing all nighters sitting on COD. :roll:
There in lies the danger, especially when he weather is nice; sone people will always toss it off if at home. I’ll sometimes nick a bit of extra time (longer lunch, early finish etc) to do stuff like gte pit on my bike when I work from home but I don’t see that as an issue because there are plenty of time’s when I work late etc. It’s swings and roundabouts for me (I still think they win though!).
It's this type of clock watching and monitoring staff that needs to go in the future of office working or WFH.

If all staff have targets to meet then it doesn't matter if those targets are met by spreading the work across 5 days, or having 4 days off then having a full day doing the work. Providing the target or work goal is met then the method of doing that work doesn't matter.

When you are self employed you have to meet your targets to earn money - I have 2 targets I need to hit before the weekend and I've not done anything on them until today, I've had a few days off instead (home schooling the kids!). But I'll get both bits of work done today and then probably not do much tomorrow.

If this was a normal boss/staff thing as mentioned above I'd probably be in trouble, but why? If the work is done what does it matter?

The whole UK workforce ethos needs to change to focus on goals that are achieved however you like.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Tiberius
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tiberius »

The job market is still dog poo. I have had a few very positive interviews. Unfortunately some roles I have applied for have either been cancelled or filled internally.

Three weeks ago I was the only candidate who reached the final stage for a job. Unfortunately the employer decided to interview internal candidate mid way through the interview process :evil: I suspect that the line manager's budget was either cut or all departments have been instructed to fill any vacancies internally

Marketing vacancies are down 50-50% compared with June last year. Furthermore there are millions who are on furlough pay and are at the risk of being made redundant in the next 1-2 months.

On the positive sideI have spent my weekdays learning Python coding which has paved the way for me to start my own business. :fest:

The average millionaire has 7 income streams. My goal is to achieve financial I dependence and have 2-3 different income streams in 24-36 month. Covid19 has simply been the kick in the backside that I have needed in order to start a business.

When you lose a job, partner or have to move, you should think "What can I do now, that I couldn't do before? :arrow:
Cars:
-19' M140i SE, AW, MP LSD, Birds B1 Suspension(Adaptive delete), Heated Seats, Power Folding Mirrors, F&R PDC, Rev.Camera

-19' X3 20i M-Sport, Adaptive Suspenion, Pro Nav, Icon Headlights, Parking Assist Plus, Power Folding Mirrors

Simon Site Manager
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Simon Site Manager »

As a freelance site manager I was working for a tier 1 construction company. I got my marching orders at the end of March as they were keeping site staff to a minimum. I have a limited company and have furloughed myself although I get less than £600 per month due to taking most of my wages as dividends (I have been in contact with my MP about this and he is awaiting a response from HMRC and the Treasury regarding JRS (Job Retention Scheme) payments on dividends. HMRC have stated that dividend payments are unaccountable but on my HMRC tax portal, it clearly states how much I took in dividends last year.

I'm not optimistic about employment in the short-term and am applying for the very few jobs locally and nationally (working away from home). I'm starting to feel the stress now and spending far too much time on here :-)
'17 M140i Estoril Blue Most of the toys. Every time I see an F40 it makes me :(

barsj111

Post by barsj111 »

perhaps a bounce back loan would help?

Simon Site Manager
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

barsj111 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:22 pm
perhaps a bounce back loan would help?
Ah, but loans have to be paid back! I'm currently waiting on a 5 figure tax rebate to be sent out :D

Mucus
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mucus »

Simon Site Manager wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:08 pm
As a freelance site manager I was working for a tier 1 construction company. I got my marching orders at the end of March as they were keeping site staff to a minimum. I have a limited company and have furloughed myself although I get less than £600 per month due to taking most of my wages as dividends (I have been in contact with my MP about this and he is awaiting a response from HMRC and the Treasury regarding JRS (Job Retention Scheme) payments on dividends. HMRC have stated that dividend payments are unaccountable but on my HMRC tax portal, it clearly states how much I took in dividends last year.

I'm not optimistic about employment in the short-term and am applying for the very few jobs locally and nationally (working away from home). I'm starting to feel the stress now and spending far too much time on here :-)

Dividends are not income. Never have been. Different tax schedule and non pensionable. If you wanted income you'd have paid yourself a bonus. I struggle to understand why accountants haven't picked this up, particularly in recent years :)
Currently banned from driving :(

Simon Site Manager
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Mucus wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:26 pm

Dividends are not income. Never have been. Different tax schedule and non pensionable. If you wanted income you'd have paid yourself a bonus. I struggle to understand why accountants haven't picked this up, particularly in recent years :)
I'm guessing that dividends are more tax efficient than bonuses....then again I'm a complete pleb when it comes to accountancy.

Mucus
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mucus »

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:20 pm
Mucus wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:26 pm

I'm guessing that dividends are more tax efficient than bonuses....then again I'm a complete pleb when it comes to accountancy.
Less tax efficient than bonus these days, when you take their non pensionable status into account. Which is why I say, I don't understand directors that remunerate themselves by dividends these days :)
Currently banned from driving :(

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

Construction is feeling the pain a bit at the mo. I’m a PQS and my employer has gone down the pay cut route rather than redundancies like our competitors. Not great, but it’s better than a 100% pay cut! In our office we do a lot of work with the retail and leisure industry which as you can imagine isn’t going too well! I’ve been moved onto some other projects that are live and will most likely see me through until the end of next year.

Boris has announced a plan for construction investment which will hopefully breathe some life back into the industry.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Simon Site Manager
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Construction is feeling the pain a bit at the mo. I’m a PQS and my employer has gone down the pay cut route rather than redundancies like our competitors. Not great, but it’s better than a 100% pay cut! In our office we do a lot of work with the retail and leisure industry which as you can imagine isn’t going too well! I’ve been moved onto some other projects that are live and will most likely see me through until the end of next year.

Boris has announced a plan for construction investment which will hopefully breathe some life back into the industry.
[/quote]

I was talking to an Ops Manager from Wilmott Dixon yesterday (where I was working when lock-down came) he was telling me that they still have site staff furloughed. I'm unsure if their staff are on reduced wages; free-lance jobs I have been looking at seem to have no pay reduction which surprises me. Fortunately, I may have a job starting soon on a Unite Students re-furb in Manchester where I worked Client side a few years ago. Sorry to hear you're a PQS (anti-Christ), but better a PQS than a QS :lol:

barneyrubble

Post by barneyrubble »

OneTwenty wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:46 am

It's this type of clock watching and monitoring staff that needs to go in the future of office working or WFH.

If all staff have targets to meet then it doesn't matter if those targets are met by spreading the work across 5 days, or having 4 days off then having a full day doing the work. Providing the target or work goal is met then the method of doing that work doesn't matter.
That's fine for some people. However, many people are there to serve others in the business, for example IT support, trade settlement, personal assistants etc (talking in my business) so they need to be working when the core business hours are running.

Giving these people flexitime just won't work. We can't have our IT support deciding to go to the beach for the day and will catch up later.......
Black Sapphire Metallic M2 LCI

HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HN1989x »

Mucus wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:27 pm
Less tax efficient than bonus these days, when you take their non pensionable status into account. Which is why I say, I don't understand directors that remunerate themselves by dividends these days :)
In my case, I pay myself dividends over a bonus because of my mortgage. Some lenders don't take bonus payments into account when working out your affordability if you are applying as a director/shareholder of a company. They are only interested in your salary + dividend payments.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”