How long do you spend deciding on a new car purchase? Poll.

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

How long do you spend deciding on a new car purchase?

Less than1 month.
25%
1-3 months.
33%
3-6 months
10%
6-12 months.
14%
1 year +
18%

Total votes: 51

NARD
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by NARD » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:53 am

I must be among the biggest procrastinators. I've been thinking about changing my car but just can't decide on:
1. Do I really need to change it?
2. What exactly do I want to change it for?
3. How much do I want to spend?

I'm hoping I'm not alone in this so have set up a poll. I'm doing the wife's head in as I've been talking about it for years. :lol:

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: How long do you spend deciding on a new car purchase? Poll.

Post by marco_polo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:17 am

I'm with you. Years of saving, research, test drives, and basically talking to myself. I'm not wealthy so personally it's a huge expenditure to get wrong.

I doubt my next car will be purchased brand new (unless TRL comes up with something stonking again), 2nd hand is more likely, although this PCP renting is becoming more attractive all the time.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Tricky401

Post by Tricky401 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:46 am

As above. Ages to save, research, test drive, find the best deal etc, multiple routes of finance etc

Then start again with the idea of two cars ( 1 track car/ weekend fun) and a sensible, then start all over.

So in summary, just always looking what to get next but also what to do to the current car next.
M135 5door, mineral Grey,black Dakota , auto, comfort pack + front Pdc, pro nav, adaptive sus, adaptive LEDs, reverse cam, sunroof, shadeband, sun protection, folding mirrors, load through, heated seats. First ever auto and BMW

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:49 am

Usually just a few days.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

Dan_Mol
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dan_Mol » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:40 pm

Knew exactly what I wanted, finding the right one and selling my own privately.

Was probably looking for 6 months, was only when mine actually sold everything fell into place.
BMW 135i

Jcarr18322
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jcarr18322 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Knew which car I wanted, PCP made the only niggle I had irrelevant :) knew I wanted it as soon as I saw the release...
Current
M2 LCI DCT
Gone
240i
135i
123D
E92 M3
Focus RS Mk2
Focus ST 3

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:49 pm

Usually when I get the twitch I know exactly what I want. I usually look on my local dealer group sites to see if they have it, or if not, further afield.

When I changed to my mini a few years back, it was a very quick process....found the car on Friday, test drove and did the deal on Saturday.

I change my cars too often.

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:41 pm

I usually know straight away what I want after I have fun with my current car, then get bored, I'll then spend time looking at prices (say a few weeks) then start saving, once I have enough, I'll then look for a deal and go for it.

I don't really consider other factors, such as financial climates or job situations or future purchases/stresses on finance, although I should really.

barneyrubble

Post by barneyrubble » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:30 pm

I was umming and ahhing for about 2 years. I didn't think that the cars I could afford were different enough from my 130i to justfy the payments. Then TRL came up with a good deal on an M2 and I decided there and then to go for it
If it's got breasts or wheels - it's going to give you trouble

Black Sapphire Metallic M2 LCI

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:54 pm

It's usually not long after getting a car I'm already thinking about what the next one will be, even though it will probably be a couple of years at least before I change.

Then I might change my mind at the last minute and go for it.

I had a Fiesta ST before this and loved it, thought I'd definitely have it 3 years until the warranty ran out (got a stage 2 map etc). After less than 2 years I decided it wasn't suited to the majority of motorway work I was doing and decided within the week to change to the M140i, found a pre-reg that was pretty much the spec I wanted and did the deal. So went from one car to the other in probably around 3 weeks.

I'm already thinking I'd like to move to EV next (the M140i is going out in style with the 3L 6 pot :twisted: ) but depends what's available as I'm not going to be seen in a Nissan Leaf, but the Jag iPace is looking like it might be a great contender come 2020 when my warranty is up.

NARD
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by NARD » Thu May 03, 2018 6:40 am

Thanks for all the replies and votes. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the procrastinating camp. :) Now, what shall I have for breakfast......?

Billy1mate
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Billy1mate » Thu May 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Not long, whilst working out the cost of 2 rear tyres and an extended warranty on my ‘15 120d or an extra £30 per month for a new M140iSE on 0%.
TBH it was partly driven by the 1 series platform change, 0% and the spec so the man maths didn’t really come into it, also the grin on my wife’s face after a test drive sealed the deal.
We don’t need a 340bhp car but it is nice.

Xenoous
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Xenoous » Thu May 03, 2018 3:38 pm

Over a year usually. I'll have had my current car for almost 5 years by the time I pull the trigger on an M140i. I'm one of 'those' that fall in love with their car. My current car has provided me with so many memories and pure joy. It'll certainly be a car that I remember forever.

I've now got that itch to start again with a new car. I've been looking at M140i's now for about 18 months, however I simply can't justify the expenditure atm as we're in the process of buying a newbuild house. We obviously have the outlay of the deposit, mortgage worries, but on top of that we have the carpet / floor & furnish the entire house, not exactly cheap.

On the plus side, I have the go ahead once we're in the new place for a new car from the missus :P
Wish List - BMW M140i
Current - 2006 Ford Focus ST

mrash

Post by mrash » Wed May 09, 2018 10:33 am

It took me just 2 hours to decide to get my golf GTi...

Saw it on auto trader on the Sunday evening. Send the dealer an email. Finance sorted first thing Monday. Car delivered to me on the Thursday 😂

Impulse purchase
please take time to just ask someone how they are. Kindness costs nothing, but means everything.

GMballistic
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by GMballistic » Sat May 26, 2018 11:48 pm

I tend to be looking at cars on and off all the time, ...videos on Youtube, reviews, forums etc etc.

I knew I wasn't enjoying my last car (Audi S3) or very attached to it so as soon as some expensive repairs/service items reared their heads it was all the push I needed to change cars. I already had a reasonable idea on a short list of cars, some more likely budget wise than others, so once I'd decided on which way to go it was less than a month before finding what I was after.
2012 Alpine White F20 M135i

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”