Carbon blue v bars on Estoril blue

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

Leeanthony3

Carbon blue v bars on Estoril blue

Post by Leeanthony3 »

Hi all!

So wasn’t going to post again until I’d cleaned the car up but I’m curios to see what people make of the blue on blue. Not sure if I like it. Potentially going to re wrap in yellow. Let us know what you think. Also I have the black grille surrounds on order so the chrome will be gone in a few days. P.s sorry about the crap pics!

Cheers

Lee
Attachments
CFDCF9A2-B13D-4E8C-AB0F-F5E4ADC24A42.jpeg
CFDCF9A2-B13D-4E8C-AB0F-F5E4ADC24A42.jpeg (134.38 KiB) Viewed 406 times
0E0929F4-10E9-421F-8492-4AEBB0603FEB.jpeg
0E0929F4-10E9-421F-8492-4AEBB0603FEB.jpeg (222.5 KiB) Viewed 406 times

stag74
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Carbon blue v bars on Estoril blue

Post by stag74 »

Black.
Why highlight a pair of support bars?
It ain't cool.
It's naff.
M140i 3 Door Manual

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo »

I wouldn't go yellow unless you have some other yellow parts like the yellow performance callipers?

The blue looks good to me, silver might work, ferric grey II might look ok? Not convinced about pink, green, yellow, etc.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Holsy1987

Post by Holsy1987 »

I quite like it was thinking of doing mine red.

It’s your car if you like it who cares what other ppl think.

Problem you have is in today’s climate the ppl that don’t like it will comment more due to the nature of ppl loving to think there’s is better than yours and want to put you down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by swanny71 »

stag74 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:08 pm
Black.
It ain't cool.
It's naff.
:D
Current: M135i manual
Previous: 1M, 130i, Exige V6, TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

Leeanthony3

Post by Leeanthony3 »

stag74 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:08 pm
Black.
It ain't cool.
It's naff.
That’s me told :shock: :lol:

Leeanthony3

Post by Leeanthony3 »

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:14 pm
I wouldn't go yellow unless you have some other yellow parts like the yellow performance callipers?

The blue looks good to me, silver might work, ferric grey II might look ok? Not convinced about pink, green, yellow, etc.
Good point, nothing else yellow on the car so it will probably look daft. I think I’ll leave it blue for now..

Leeanthony3

Post by Leeanthony3 »

Holsy1987 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:20 pm

Problem you have is in today’s climate the ppl that don’t like it will comment more due to the nature of ppl loving to think there’s is better than yours and want to put you down.

True words!

AME
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by AME »

Holsy1987 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:20 pm

Amen! If we all shared the same taste it would be a very boring world to live in!

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 »

Are you any good with Photoshop or similar? I was debating various different colours for my 2 intake vanes as I don't like the grey-that-looks-like-primer. Plus fitting the black grille vs the standard faux chrome. After Photoshop'ing various different colours I decided than when I've got the time, I'll respray the vanes EB or black, but leave the grille as it is. One thing I did like was the idea of rplacing the grille 'chrome' with body colour.

My 2016 M235i Convertible with Photoshop'd grille surround and intake vanes in Estoril Blue II

versus surround and vanes in black.

And BTW I think your re-coloured radiator struts like great. If I ever take the grilles off I'll do the same.

And I was surprised to find that the official BMW spray cans for primer and body colours are not mega-expensive: about £9 a can, if I recall. But be aware - Estoril Blue apparenty changed shade around 2016 i.e. there is an EB-I and EB-II so worth checking your VIN of your car is around this time.

If you aren't a Photoshop nerd then post a photo here, indicating what options you'd like to go for colour-wise. I'll download it, and try a quick re-colour and post it back. It'll make it easer if you can get as much contrast between the bits to be re-coloured and their background as possible: Photosop can automatically select areas where the contrast is high, but if it's not, then you have to trace it out carefully by hand, which is more difficult.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster+HGB; BMW M Performance LSD

G90
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by G90 »

msej449 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:53 am
But be aware - Estoril Blue apparenty changed shade around 2016 i.e. there is an EB-I and EB-II so worth checking your VIN of your car is around this time
Just to let you know I'm pretty sure it changed before then but not so sure when. My 2012 120d was Estoril blue-II B45
Petrol at heart, Diesel in the wallet... :starwars:
Current: F20 140i Sunset Orange (manual)
Gone 1er's: F20 120d Estoril Blue 2--E87 120d Sapphire Black

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 »

Here you go:

Or perhaps:

The bottom vent trims aren't recoloured well, but that's because of the contrast problem I mentioned. Overall, not a great retouching but I only did it quickly. WIth a higher-contrast and brighter original, you'd be able to get a more realistic rendering. If I recall, some white front plates come with yellow band 'round the ouside, which might match nicely gainst the yellow struts.

Personally,I'd go the whole hog and put yellow on all the main trim like the front vent surrounds (as above, bottom), mirror covers etc. But then it wouldn't be me who had to live with it! But it would be unique.....

Leeanthony3

Post by Leeanthony3 »

msej449 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:07 pm
Here you go:

Or perhaps:

The bottom vent trims aren't recoloured well, but that's because of the contrast problem I mentioned. Overall, not a great retouching but I only did it quickly. WIth a higher-contrast and brighter original, you'd be able to get a more realistic rendering. If I recall, some white front plates come with yellow band 'round the ouside, which might match nicely gainst the yellow struts.

Personally,I'd go the whole hog and put yellow on all the main trim like the front vent surrounds (as above, bottom), mirror covers etc. But then it wouldn't be me who had to live with it! But it would be unique.....
I am totally useless photoshop wise so I really appreciate you taking the time editing this for me!! Unfortunately it’s only brought me to the conclusion that yellow isn’t a good idea :shock: :lol:

I think I’ll stick to the blue for now and see how it looks when I get the black grille surrounds on. Fingers crossed they should be getting delivered tomorrow.

I think I’ll eventually spray / wrap the canards and mirrors gloss black. I plan on getting a gloss black maxton diffuser so I think it should all tie in nicely.

Thanks again for the edit :)

Leeanthony3

Post by Leeanthony3 »

msej449 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:53 am
Are you any good with Photoshop or similar? I was debating various different colours for my 2 intake vanes as I don't like the grey-that-looks-like-primer. Plus fitting the black grille vs the standard faux chrome. After Photoshop'ing various different colours I decided than when I've got the time, I'll respray the vanes EB or black, but leave the grille as it is. One thing I did like was the idea of rplacing the grille 'chrome' with body colour.

My 2016 M235i Convertible with Photoshop'd grille surround and intake vanes in Estoril Blue II

versus surround and vanes in black.

And BTW I think your re-coloured radiator struts like great. If I ever take the grilles off I'll do the same.

And I was surprised to find that the official BMW spray cans for primer and body colours are not mega-expensive: about £9 a can, if I recall. But be aware - Estoril Blue apparenty changed shade around 2016 i.e. there is an EB-I and EB-II so worth checking your VIN of your car is around this time.

If you aren't a Photoshop nerd then post a photo here, indicating what options you'd like to go for colour-wise. I'll download it, and try a quick re-colour and post it back. It'll make it easer if you can get as much contrast between the bits to be re-coloured and their background as possible: Photosop can automatically select areas where the contrast is high, but if it's not, then you have to trace it out carefully by hand, which is more difficult.
That’s good to know about the spray cans! Expected them to be pricey.

I’m a bit torn as to what to make of the body coloured grille surround. On one hand I think it looks very smart but on the other I think it makes the car look a little less aggressive from the front of you know what I mean.

I’m going to have to get myself up to speed on photoshop I think..

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 »

Apologies: I think my BMW paint can pricing is very out-of-date! The best I can find is a set as below for £25 for two 150ml cans (1x colour + 1x lacquer) i.e. £12.50/can (and 150ml isn't a lot of paint).

https://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk/en_GB/p/- ... l/1052301/

But this is for 'Alaska Blue'. When I go to the BMW Shop site, put my VIN in and search for 'paint' all that comes back are single 150ml tins at £25/each! That's £167/litre!

Amazon offers genuine EB II paint can set of 2 as part no 51911052403 £25 the two, but none in stock. Seems just as easy to me to go to a dealer's Spares Dept. and be sure you're getting the exact paint match. I suppose if I had to do some main bodywork retouching then I'd have no choice but to fork out the £25.

This is against £7.50 for a 300ml can of EB II from Halfords .... although one review says it's not a perfect match (the other review says EB II needs grey primer, contrary to what the Halfords in-store Guide says). But that'd be fine for me if it's just for struts or intake vanes etc, not main bodywork.

I can see the merits of wrapping!

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”