Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

padders
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: m240i crashy ride

Post by padders »

Steven1077 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:05 pm
I honestly didn't find the ride much different between the M240 and M140 on rough roads with adaptive, if anything I found the M240 more annoying with a bit more pogo, it was a little better over speed humps, but both are noticeably softer in comfort, compared to an M3CP in comfort both cars felt like a Rolls Royce, if the M2CP is as harsh I don't know how anyone can live with it
It's weird isn't it? The vastly different experiences owners report suggests to me something is very different between the cars being discussed. My car does not pogo, does not crash at the rear. It is a little firm yes compared with something like a 320d but very composed. As an anecdote, but one friend, who has owned at the last count at least 15 BMWs of various vintages, commented how wonderfully and uniquely compliant the M240i was when we went for a long blast. This is someone who has owned a 3.0CS, 316, 540i, Z3, 2002, 320i, 318iS etc etc and drives a recent S class as his daily.
Current: M240i in MG with Cognac interior, Pro Nav, HK, Adaptive Shocks, MP-LSD, Sunroof, Active Cruise, CarPlay etc etc
Now gone: EB LCI 125d F20 8HP50: Oyster Leather, Active Cruise and Adaptive Suspension, PDC F&R, Folding mirrors, Pro Nav

tweeky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tweeky »

I would much rather go for a long drive in the 240 than my 911 (997 with non-adaptive) which is very harsh in comparison
Try a long drive in my Caterham 7 your 911 will feel soft and floaty.
Current 2018 F22 M240i Sunset Orange Black leather with lumber support,Pro Nav, Adaptive LEDs, HK, Sunroof F&R PDC.
Gone 2015 F22 220D Melbourne Redloaded with many extras.
Gone 2012 E82 Space Grey 118D Sports Plus standard spec.

Steven1077
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Steven1077 »

padders wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:24 pm
Steven1077 wrote:
I honestly didn't find the ride much different between the M240 and M140 on rough roads with adaptive, if anything I found the M240 more annoying with a bit more pogo, it was a little better over speed humps, but both are noticeably softer in comfort, compared to an M3CP in comfort both cars felt like a Rolls Royce, if the M2CP is as harsh I don't know how anyone can live with it
It's weird isn't it? The vastly different experiences owners report suggests to me something is very different between the cars being discussed. My car does not pogo, does not crash at the rear. It is a little firm yes compared with something like a 320d but very composed. As an anecdote, but one friend, who has owned at the last count at least 15 BMWs of various vintages, commented how wonderfully and uniquely compliant the M240i was when we went for a long blast. This is someone who has owned a 3.0CS, 316, 540i, Z3, 2002, 320i, 318iS etc etc and drives a recent S class as his daily.
Different roads? Older drivers? The roads I drive on are shocking, and lots of 20 MPH in the Lewisham area with crazy speed humps, don't get me wrong I'm happy with the M140's ride on a half decent road, problem is most are not so good, I found the 340 on runflats a better ride on 18" wheels than the Mlites with real tyres
Drives F21 M140i
Previous F30 335d, F32 435i, F21 M135i F22 M235i, F30 340i, F22 M240i

padders
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by padders »

tweeky wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:49 pm
I would much rather go for a long drive in the 240 than my 911 (997 with non-adaptive) which is very harsh in comparison
Try a long drive in my Caterham 7 your 911 will feel soft and floaty.
Ha yes totally. It is a question of perspective I guess. I threw the 911 comment in there not as a brag (it is only an old 997) but as a reference point so I couldn't be accused of having only driven exec cars and having unrealistic expectations of the chassis. I have driven faster and harsher than the M-lite but nothing that does what it does quite so well.
Current: M240i in MG with Cognac interior, Pro Nav, HK, Adaptive Shocks, MP-LSD, Sunroof, Active Cruise, CarPlay etc etc
Now gone: EB LCI 125d F20 8HP50: Oyster Leather, Active Cruise and Adaptive Suspension, PDC F&R, Folding mirrors, Pro Nav

tweeky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tweeky »

Ha yes totally. It is a question of perspective I guess. I threw the 911 comment in there not as a brag (it is only an old 997) but as a reference point so I couldn't be accused of having only driven exec cars and having unrealistic expectations of the chassis. I have driven faster and harsher than the M-lite but nothing that does what it does quite so well.
A couple of hours (if that) in the 7 and you know it, no PAS no Servo brakes no ABS its raw its great but not a tourer.
Current 2018 F22 M240i Sunset Orange Black leather with lumber support,Pro Nav, Adaptive LEDs, HK, Sunroof F&R PDC.
Gone 2015 F22 220D Melbourne Redloaded with many extras.
Gone 2012 E82 Space Grey 118D Sports Plus standard spec.

Dangleeballs

Post by Dangleeballs »

i find it fine on "Normal" roads

the roads i use daily are country roads, so very uneven, cracks, rainbow shaped

maybe this highlights it more

but overall its very "Bouncy"

if springs will fix this i will definitely upgrade

Trojantrow
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Trojantrow »

Seems like it’s either softer springs or better dampers.

If the dampers can’t control the springs it will bounce from what I’ve read.

Mines not too bad. But it’s an m135i and softer than an m140i.
Still bounces about on really bad roads but all in all it’s a good balance that could do with being a bit stiffer and better damped

In my opinion it looks like bmw tried to go all out hard suspension on the m140i to keep up with the true hot hatches but never upgraded the dampers to suite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rarebit
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rarebit »

My biggest issue with my m135 (2013 adaptive) was the rear springs were too soft, it just sat down too much when pushing on. I know my m140i is hard at the back but for me it feels like an ok compromise for a stock car
2016 M140i - Melbourne Red + BMWP
2013 M135i - rejected
2007 130i LE - gone
2002 316ti

rustyk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by rustyk »

padders wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:24 pm
Steven1077 wrote:
That's why I'm not going to mod my exhaust and don't really want to mod my suspension either. All the language being used is completely subjective.
I have a lot of time on my hands and have read a lot of threads on here, and you'll literally get 3 people with the same exhaust mods, one will say it's perfect, no drone, one will say it's too quiet and one will say it's too loud and they can't stand the drone :lol:

For what's worth, there is a marked difference in the damping between comfort and sport on my adaptive.
M140I SE / MG, Oyster, Orbit Grey / Manual / Heated Seats / Adaptive

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty »

Dangleeballs wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:56 pm
i find it fine on "Normal" roads

the roads i use daily are country roads, so very uneven, cracks, rainbow shaped

maybe this highlights it more

but overall its very "Bouncy"

if springs will fix this i will definitely upgrade
I live rurally, our roads are shocking, bumpy, potholed, narrow but still no issues like you’re having.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Trojantrow
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Trojantrow »

I have also spent a lot of time (2 years before I got my mlite) reading up and taking in people’s opinions on how the car is this that and the other.

I’ve come to the conclusion that it must be RELATIVE.

It all depends on what you have driven in the past.

The car, as well as many other cars, is a compromise. It can’t be a limo and a performance car at the same time and it can’t be a brilliant handling car without it being a bit harsh at times.

At the end of the day the stock dampers are not up to the high standards that we want them to be...

if you have b16 coilovers on these cars then you can more or less get best of Both worlds I would imagine. But it’s a bit expensive.

Everyone knows a type R is better down a country lane. But stick it on a motorway and I bet it’s sh*t compared to an mlite... this is not a issue with the car it’s an issue with people’s expectations.

It’s a mini GT..not a super hot hatch... that’s it

All IMO of coarse.

SamM140

Post by SamM140 »

Trojantrow wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:00 am
I have also spent a lot of time (2 years before I got my mlite) reading up and taking in people’s opinions on how the car is this that and the other.

I’ve come to the conclusion that it must be RELATIVE.

It all depends on what you have driven in the past.

The car, as well as many other cars, is a compromise. It can’t be a limo and a performance car at the same time and it can’t be a brilliant handling car without it being a bit harsh at times.

At the end of the day the stock dampers are not up to the high standards that we want them to be...

if you have b16 coilovers on these cars then you can more or less get best of Both worlds I would imagine. But it’s a bit expensive.

Everyone knows a type R is better down a country lane. But stick it on a motorway and I bet it’s sh*t compared to an mlite... this is not a issue with the car it’s an issue with people’s expectations.

It’s a mini GT..not a super hot hatch... that’s it

All IMO of coarse.

The Type R is also so hideous that it’ll make small children cry! :lol:

My M140i does get a bit uncomposed on country lane but by the time it feels a bit squiffy you’re usually really pushing on and if caught the boys in blue will be less than impressed.

I’ve fitted H+R -15mm springs to my car and it feels a better without sacrificing any comfort. It looks better too.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Plus my other half’s 2007 116 cheapy project

Trojantrow
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Trojantrow »

[/quote] The Type R is also so hideous that it’ll make small children cry! :lol:[/quote]

I’m 33 and it makes me cry!!

Dangleeballs

Post by Dangleeballs »

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Eibach make the best springs in the world, bar none, imo. Finest R&D.

Slightly better value here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EIBACH-PROKI ... 3567935444

They obviously won't fix the dodgy rear dampers though, maybe pair them with some rear B8's?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”