Rattle/Ticking please help :( (Now Fixed)

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Mooeeey
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Rattle/Ticking please help :( (Now Fixed)

Post by Mooeeey » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:46 pm

The car has an annoying rattle/ticking noise that appears to be coming from the boot, driver’s side, maybe closer to the roof than the boot floor, but I can’t be sure. I’ve read a few posts here before posting and this is what I’ve tried so far...
  • Removed the parcel shelf
    Removed everything that’s removable from the boot
    Removed boot lid trim completely and checked everything that’s visible.
    Taped around the ‘D’ ring (noticed mine is plastic not metal like the old car but did it anyway).
    Tested every bit for trim I can find for give, and then taped it up.
    Put the seats down and wrapped the seat belt buckles
What’s annoying is I can’t seem to find a pattern to the noise, sometimes it’s there, and then it will vanish. Doesn’t seem to matter how bumpy the road is either. I’m starting to think it might be the suspension of something close. Last night I drove for about seven miles and nothing, then after a tight right-hander the noise was there again.

I was going to take it to the dealer, but knowing my luck I wouldn’t be able to replicate the issue for them.

Has anyone got any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Mooeeey on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now: F21 M140i
My past BMWs: F21 M135i | F20 120d Sport | E46 M3 | E46 325Ci Sport | E90 320d SE | E87 118d Sport

midlifecrisis
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Rattle/Ticking please help :(

Post by midlifecrisis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:51 pm

The direction from where the sound comes from can be very deceiving I've found. You've obviously tried just about everything and I really can't offer any further ideas, except I wonder if it's something to do with the exhaust.

Just thought I'd throw that one in, as mine ticks sometimes; although admittedly usually once the engine is switched off.

Sorry I can't offer more help, but hope you sort it, as these sorts of things can be the ruination of driving enjoyment can't they?
Paul

2010 123d M Sport Space Grey
2012 M135i Mineral Grey (Mustafa Mk I)
2014 M135i Sapphire Black (Mustafa Mk II)
2016 M140i Mineral Grey (Mustafa Mk III)

Mooeeey
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mooeeey » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:19 pm

midlifecrisis wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:51 pm
The direction from where the sound comes from can be very deceiving I've found. You've obviously tried just about everything and I really can't offer any further ideas, except I wonder if it's something to do with the exhaust.

Just thought I'd throw that one in, as mine ticks sometimes; although admittedly usually once the engine is switched off.

Sorry I can't offer more help, but hope you sort it, as these sorts of things can be the ruination of driving enjoyment can't they?
I didn't consider the exhaust, but that's a great idea. I will see if there's anything loose down there. I also get what you mean about the direction of the noise. I've had a couple of people sat in the rear and asked them to point it out, but they couldn't really pin point it.

It shouldn't bother me a much as it does, but I just find it super irritating.
My past BMWs: F21 M135i | F20 120d Sport | E46 M3 | E46 325Ci Sport | E90 320d SE | E87 118d Sport

plinkos
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by plinkos » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:32 am

Have you checked inside the cavities where the rear lights sit?? There could be something loose in there, alternatively I'm sure there'll be some wiring looms that could have been poorly routed & are knocking against something??
M140 - MR, Auto/Adaptive/HK/PDC (F+R)/Elec Heated Seats/Elec Mirrors

salmani01

Post by salmani01 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:19 am

I completely understand what you are saying here Mooeeey.

I have the exact same problem and can not for the life of me find out what it is. Again same as you some times its there and sometimes its not. I want to say it sounds like metal on metal but its not really that sort of metallic sound that you get, it does sound like maybe plastic on metallic or vice versa...?

I did read a post on here about the seals being to tight or loose and maybe that could be the source of this rattle. I was going to try some sort of lubricant to see if that helps. But will be watching this post carefully to see if you have found the solution to the problem.

I hope that its not the exhaust only had the car 1 month so would not expect a brand new car to have a fault like this already.

I know this post does not really contribute to helping solve the problem, but just letting you know that your not the only one.. haha were in this together.

;)

salmani01

Post by salmani01 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:20 am

oh and it is coming from drivers side boot area for sure.....

salmani01

Post by salmani01 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:26 am

seen this and might do the trick. can only tru for less than £4.50...???

http://www.micksgarage.com/ProdDetails. ... 0wodqd8HZQ

Tom314
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tom314 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:26 am

Does it go away if you put something heavy in the boot/rear seat passenger? I had a damper go on my e91 and had similar sounds to start with (got a lot more obvious when it really went). To start with it went away with anything heavy (~>50kg) in the boot.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

March 2017 F20 M140i 5dr Estoril Blue & Oyster

Mooeeey
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mooeeey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:56 am

salmani01 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:19 am
I completely understand what you are saying here Mooeeey.

I have the exact same problem and can not for the life of me find out what it is. Again same as you some times its there and sometimes its not. I want to say it sounds like metal on metal but its not really that sort of metallic sound that you get, it does sound like maybe plastic on metallic or vice versa...?

I did read a post on here about the seals being to tight or loose and maybe that could be the source of this rattle. I was going to try some sort of lubricant to see if that helps. But will be watching this post carefully to see if you have found the solution to the problem.

I hope that its not the exhaust only had the car 1 month so would not expect a brand new car to have a fault like this already.

I know this post does not really contribute to helping solve the problem, but just letting you know that your not the only one.. haha were in this together.

;)
Glad to know someone else feels my pain :P I won't give up, if I find the issue I will let you know.

Mooeeey
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mooeeey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 am

plinkos wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:32 am
Have you checked inside the cavities where the rear lights sit?? There could be something loose in there, alternatively I'm sure there'll be some wiring looms that could have been poorly routed & are knocking against something??
When I took the boot lid trim off I did indeed check the light cavities and all wiring connected to the boot lid, although I didn't think of checking the other lights, which I will do tonight.

Someone at work mentioned about the windscreen washer pipe could be me making the noise, but I have no idea where to start to get at it.

Mooeeey
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mooeeey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 am

Tom314 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:26 am
Does it go away if you put something heavy in the boot/rear seat passenger? I had a damper go on my e91 and had similar sounds to start with (got a lot more obvious when it really went). To start with it went away with anything heavy (~>50kg) in the boot.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thank you. I have a spare wheel in my boot at the moment and my winter kit, probably doesn't amount to 50kg though. I'll add a little more and test it again.

TVR

Post by TVR » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:24 pm

I drove myself mad with something similar which sounded like the rear seats creaking and rattling until I cleaned the sill around the sunroof. If you have a sunroof give it a try as I was convinced the sound was coming from the rear until I did that.
M140i - Superman spec
Manual - Pro nav - HK - Heated seats/steering wheel - Reverse camera - Sunroof - Speed limit display - Folding mirrors - Sun protection glass

olda47
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by olda47 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:31 pm

Mooeeey. From what I´ve read so far, you have one positive lead. "The tight right-hander". Have someone with you in the back seat to help with listening. Go back to that tight right hander or similar and try to replicate the abnormal noise. (Have your car in the same condition as at the time when the noise was detected). If unssuccesfull, then let the passenger out and try it again. If you can successfully replicate the noise few times, then se your BMW dealer, demonstrate the noise and let them to take it from there. If you can´t replicate the noise, then try to drive with someone in the back seat as often as possible to help you with your task. It is very difficult to pinpoint this type of thing on your own. I have some professional experience with tracing abnormal noise in cars.
M140i man. 5dr, AW, CF roof

Mooeeey
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mooeeey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 pm

olda47 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:31 pm
Mooeeey. From what I´ve read so far, you have one positive lead. "The tight right-hander". Have someone with you in the back seat to help with listening. Go back to that tight right hander or similar and try to replicate the abnormal noise. (Have your car in the same condition as at the time when the noise was detected). If unssuccesfull, then let the passenger out and try it again. If you can successfully replicate the noise few times, then se your BMW dealer, demonstrate the noise and let them to take it from there. If you can´t replicate the noise, then try to drive with someone in the back seat as often as possible to help you with your task. It is very difficult to pinpoint this type of thing on your own. I have some professional experience with tracing abnormal noise in cars.
Thank you! just been out for a drive and I'm 99% sure the noise is coming from this area...

Had someone sat in the back and we took turns driving and both agree. Peeled back the trim a little and I can see a few wire looms, but wasn't sure how to remove the trim completely, so going to try at the weekend. If not then I will get it booked in with the dealer :) Making progress slowly!

midlifecrisis

Post by midlifecrisis » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:56 pm

Just goes to show how we almost constantly discover new things about our cars. Having now seen your pic of where you believe the noise is coming from, I noticed the speaker and housing and initially thought 'I don't recall mine being like that!' I've literally just stepped out of the house and had a look and voila ..... exactly the same ..... doh!

It was the same with the M135i, which had a couple of raised plastic strips adjacent to the wing mirrors (believed to be something to do with helping noise reduction I think). Many of us had never even spotted them, despite washing our cars countless times!

Being one who doesn't 'frequently' wash his car, I shall await grief from Octavius now for having made the aforementioned comment! :lol:
Paul

2010 123d M Sport Space Grey
2012 M135i Mineral Grey (Mustafa Mk I)
2014 M135i Sapphire Black (Mustafa Mk II)
2016 M140i Mineral Grey (Mustafa Mk III)

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”