Information about coding your BMW

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

ttassie15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

FRM question

Post by ttassie15 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:22 am

Hi,
I think I’ve got a faulty FRM (not sure what version, I do have the welcome lights, and a 61 plate so assuming 2/3). Everything works fine, just Carly isn’t letting me code any lights or mirrors etc and comes up with an error code. I could’ve made do with this, but have recently changed front and rear lights so want to be able to code halos as drl, plus the folding mirrors on remote would be nice.

I’ve been reading on an e90 forum, that if I swap the FRM like for like eg frm2 for frm2, it should work with no issues apart from an error code when using diagnostics? This is until the vo/fa on the FRM is changed to match my vehicle. Has anyone done this?
Is it quite easy to do, once I’m familiar with NCSexpert and inpa? Or is there a way of flashing/resetting the FRM to clear the issue?

I have absolutely no experience in coding, but can follow guides quite well. If it’s a bit involved, I can buy a second hand FRM and take it somewhere worst case.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
123D M Sport E82

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: FRM question

Post by Nottsknots » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:32 am

On a 61 that'll be FRM3
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=44468&start=15

"Like-for-like" is more than the version number; to get it to work without coding, it needs to come from the same config as you want (e.g. Body style and headligt type (halogens, xenons)). Given you have a "3", you'll need a "3" again - you can upgrade from a lower version, but I dont know how it'll handle a downgrade :?:

If you're going to code it anyway, then it doesnt much matter.

The main issue with FRM's not communicating properly is down to corrupt EEPROM code, due to dodgy voltages whilst coding it. You need to erase and re-write the whole thing from a template, rather than just updating some of the parameters stored on it - I think that needs a proper EEPROM writer connected to the chip to access all the 4k bytes. I've no idea if its possible through software and the OBD port (hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will confirm either way).
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

ttassie15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ttassie15 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Can the FRM units themselves be faulty and not be repaired by a reset/flash?

123D M Sport E82

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:05 pm

Do you have the most up to date Carly dongle.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

ttassie15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ttassie15 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Yeah I bought a gen 2 Wi-fi dongle back in December. Certain things work, like the dpf check, and coding the digital speedo. Even the CAS works, just FRM stuff?

123D M Sport E82

ttassie15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ttassie15 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:41 am

123D M Sport E82

ttassie15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ttassie15 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Would it help trying to code when I’ve got a battery charger connected? Would the voltage affect anything?

123D M Sport E82

Return to “Coding/Software”