F45 + F46 Android Auto

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe F44 (2019-)
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

LittleScratch

F45 + F46 Android Auto

Post by LittleScratch »

Hi

Really looking for some advice please as I am a little confused.

I am looking on getting a gran tourer and I am at that point in buying a second hand car where I close to breaking and just plain bored of the situation and just want the car now......

I wont bore you to bits but basically I have got it down to a couple of cars. my main deciding factor now is Android Auto.....My question two questions are:
Does Android Auto exist in a 2017 (17 plate so a F45 I think?) model, maybe with a firmware/software upgrade?
If not then does it exist in a 2018 (68 plate so a F46 I think?) model with a firmware/software upgrade?

Sorry you probably already know this but I think the update to enable android auto is for every BMW vehicle that has Operating System 7? This is the like that was the most helpful:
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2020/07/02/bm ... gital-key/

I have been going over the internet and finding the same articles that they are releasing it but no definite answers around my questions......

If someone can help it would be greatly appreciated, you would be helping me out more than you know.....

prettyvacant511

Re: F45 + F46 Android Auto

Post by prettyvacant511 »

I'm not what you'd call an expert as I'm fairly new to BMW but I also have a keen interest in Android Auto. From what I understand, its only been available from July this year and only via dealer update for certain models that have idrive 7.

An OTA update is coming for selected vehicles with Idrive 7 but there's no published schedule. 2 series Gran Coupe and probably the new coupe model next year will get it, I'd be slightly dubious about the gran/active tourer from 2017 getting it though.

There are aftermarket options available though if that's what you want, look up bimmertech :)

LittleScratch

Post by LittleScratch »

Great reply.

So does the 2018 model have os7, I read that all the 2 series only have os6. All slightly confusing....

So you can't update via usb off of their update website yet?

The bimmertech stuff looks great.
Would I lose any functionality of you swap units?
Anyone fit and supply them in the UK?

prettyvacant511

Post by prettyvacant511 »

Idrive 7 is fairly new as I understand it, they're still shipping some models with Idrive 6, idrive 7 is seen at the premium option. I've just ordered a 2 series gran coupe msport which has idrive 7, if I had gone for the sport model I get idrive 6 + smaller screen.

I'm sure someone more experienced than me can comment but I don't believe BMW would provide upgrades for idrive 6 > 7 as the latter would potentially need additional/improved hardware.

Bimmertech looks great, I'm sure there's loads of people on here who have installed their gear

kza

Post by kza »

You will need to retrofit a third party solution. BMW won't support older idrives. I have the idrive 6 and very sad. I've been looking at this UK based supplier. They said they should have a new version coming out in next couple weeks that supports the 2 series.

https://integratedautomotive.co.uk/

I agree nothing BMW offers beats android auto.

Return to “F44, F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”