225xe Roof Rails - not standard equipment!!

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

RedlineDrifter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RedlineDrifter » Mon May 29, 2017 4:04 pm

Ordered my 225xe in Dec '16 expecting this 'activity vehicle' to come fitted with roof rails as standard (like my 1-series) and didn't realise that they were in fact an option (£140).
Car arrived in Apr '17 and I realised my mistake so I requested a quote from the dealer to retrofit which came out at an eye watering £1000!
ImageImageImageImage

Looks like I'll be going down the generic bike rack route then ☹️ probably a saris or something..
Really annoying too, as I had already bought the genuine BMW roof rack bars and bike holders when I got my 1-series, and although I knew the roof rack bars wouldn't fit the 2-series, the bike holders certainly would fit as they're a generic fitment.

**Please be aware everyone, roof rails is an option on the 225xe!!!**

- Red

Sat & Sun: '16 F21 M135i
Mon - Fri: '17 F45 225xe M Sport
F21 M135I LCI

- "Sideways is the way forwards"

RedlineDrifter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RedlineDrifter » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:22 am

Here is the generic rack I went for in the end;

It's called a Saris Gran Fondo for those that are interested..

And, for the sake of contrast, here is a pic of my 1er with the full BMW bike rack option kit which I had hoped to use on the 2er;

F21 M135I LCI

MathieuBMW

Re: 225xe Roof Rails - not standard equipment!!

Post by MathieuBMW » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:56 am

Hi,

My name is Mathieu and I'm a BMW salesman in Belgium.

Your bike rack system for the BMW 225xe can be very interesting to propose to our customers.

I just wanted to check with your what's your feedback after some use of this system.

May I asked you how long you are using this system, how often and if you had any negative remarks about this system?
Especially about that plastic spoiler on top of the boot, wich I heard it can be damage after some use of a bike rack like this.

I would be so helpfull for us.

Thank you in advance for your reaction.

Regards,

Mathieu

RedlineDrifter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RedlineDrifter » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:11 am

Hi Mathieu,

Ok - so after some use here is my feedback;

Negative points;
- rack is only strapped to the car and not locked to the car
- unless you use your own bike lock, the bikes are only strapped to the rack and not locked to the rack
- rack and bikes have to be removed to open the boot :(
- even though they are fully secure the bikes do wobble around when on the move which is a bit unnerving!
- the top straps can leave some minor marks on the plastic spoiler paint work
- there are two exposed metal bolts that can rub on the paint work if the bike rack hasn't been fitted correctly

However after a bit of sticky rubber tape in the right places there was no more marks or damage :)

The plastic spoiler is strong enough to support the rack with two alloy framed mountain bikes, it's only protection from strap marks that's needed.

Positive points;
- rack is well constructed from quality materials
- easy to assemble
- rack is really quick to fit to the car
- bikes are really quick to fit and remove from the rack
- no need for an additional number plate as required by most generic bike racks because there is a gap between the bikes when fitted
- doesn't obscure view through rear view mirror
- reasonably priced
- looks really trick and pro :)

Moral of the story though; if you want to carry bikes on a 225xe (or any 2-series active tourer) without any compromise, spec roof rails in the option list and avoid generic bike racks altogether!

Hope this helps :)

- Red

Sat & Sun: '16 F21 M135i
Mon - Fri: '17 F45 225xe M Sport
F21 M135I LCI

MathieuBMW

Post by MathieuBMW » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:40 am

Thank you so much for you feedback.

I give it true to a customer of mine who is looking for a good bike rack for his new 225xe.

I hope you're enjoying yours and I wish you a lot of driving pleasure.

Regards,

Mathieu

Babaa
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Babaa » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:50 am

Hi there,

I know this thread dates back quite a bit, but we were just thinking about roof rails for a roof box on our 220i too and from websites like Halfords, after putting in the car reg it does say that some roof rails will fit depending on if you either have 'flush rails' or 'no rails', but having seen this post does it mean that if the car doesn't even have lift out sections in the roof (like the m140i), that you can't fit any sort of roof rail unless spending £1k with BMW first?

Having checked my m140i I can see little pop out sections in the plastic trim on the roof which would allow roof rails as per the pictures below, but our 220i has no pop out sections at all along the plastic trim where the roof rails would go - does this mean that roof rails just aren't an option as the initial person that specced the car didn't tick the £140 option, which now costs £1k to have added?

Cheers -- Babaa
2018 m140i SE
2015 220i Active Tourer
2013 m135i (now gone)

Babaa
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Babaa » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:22 pm

In case it helps anyone else, I got the answer now following a very helpful visit to Halfords.

Yes, it helps if there is the prep already in place with mounts to fit in the flush plastic trim, but even without this (or the £1k cost from BMW to retrofit), you can buy an additional fixing kit for the roof rails to connect under the top of the door frame (well, certainly you can for the Thule roof rails - not sure about others).

That kit is just another £39 for the set I went for, but as Halfords bundles inlcude all the parts needed for them to fit, was included in the package deal I went for.

So in short, you can still get roof bars without either the option being selected when new for £140, or the £1k dealer retrofit.
2018 m140i SE
2015 220i Active Tourer
2013 m135i (now gone)

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:46 pm

RedlineDrifter wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:22 am
Here is the generic rack I went for in the end;

It's called a Saris Gran Fondo for those that are interested..
Is it legal to have a load hanging so far off the car without hazard markings / the number plate is obscured.. :bustedcop: :)
M140i, Mineral Grey

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nottsknots » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Up to 1m projection; no visibility requirememts.

1-2m projection (which this might be, hard to tell), just need ends to be clearly visible (those bikes are visible!). They're not like projecting poles that couldnt be seen end on.

Over 2m there are marker board requirements.

Number plate probably not obscured from directly behind, but may run foul of speed camera view from side of road; it would be a really arsy cop that bothered to even have a word about that though (unless you're also driving like a twat, but given the movement of the bikes, I doubt anyone with several grand of kit stacked to the back would also ddrive like a twat).
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

RedlineDrifter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RedlineDrifter » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:44 am

Babaa wrote: ..does it mean that if the car doesn't even have lift out sections in the roof (like the m140i), that you can't fit any sort of roof rail unless spending £1k with BMW first?
Correct. When I originally enquired at my local retailer and I was informed that to retrofit the roof rails was approx. 7hrs labour, hence the astronomical quote.
Babaa wrote: ..but our 220i has no pop out sections at all along the plastic trim where the roof rails would go - does this mean that roof rails just aren't an option as the initial person that specced the car didn't tick the £140 option, which now costs £1k to have added?
Sadly, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F21 M135I LCI

RedlineDrifter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RedlineDrifter » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:50 am

Babaa wrote: ..you can buy an additional fixing kit for the roof rails to connect under the top of the door frame (well, certainly you can for the Thule roof rails - not sure about others).
Nice work! I couldn’t find anything like this when I was on the search.

Hope it’s as safe/secure as the proper roof rail mounting points.

F21 M135I LCI

RedlineDrifter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RedlineDrifter » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:57 am

robsaboy wrote: Is it legal to have a load hanging so far off the car without hazard markings / the number plate is obscured.. :bustedcop: :)
Lol re: hazard markings for load hanging off!
I passed several marked and unmarked cops on a 3,000 mile trip recently and no issues.
Number plate isn’t obscured, I took the picture from that angle just cos it looked cool and also to obscure my plate from the pic.
The design of the bike carrier actually allows the plate to be fully viewed from the back (so no additional plate required).

F21 M135I LCI

225xeBikeMan

Post by 225xeBikeMan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:10 pm

I have a 225xe active tourer, and all the sites I have visited say it is incompatible with a boot mounted bike rack. I have a Saris Bones 3 on the wife’s Fabia and wondered why I cannot use this on the BMW. I know the spoiler is plastic, but if I could somehow clip the rack to the metal underneath, are there any other reasons why it cannot / shouldn’t be used?

Many thanks in advance of any replies.

RedlineDrifter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RedlineDrifter » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:01 pm

225xeBikeMan wrote:I have a 225xe active tourer, and all the sites I have visited say it is incompatible with a boot mounted bike rack. I have a Saris Bones 3 on the wife’s Fabia and wondered why I cannot use this on the BMW. I know the spoiler is plastic, but if I could somehow clip the rack to the metal underneath, are there any other reasons why it cannot / shouldn’t be used?

Many thanks in advance of any replies.
Can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t fit, but I’ve never had a bones rack before, so can’t be sure. The plastic spoiler is actually quite sturdy - that’s what my saris rack is hooked on to when haulin the bikes around.
Best thing to do is just give the bones a try and see how it fits. Let us know how you get on mate.

F21 M135I LCI

MarkySpark

Post by MarkySpark » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:08 am

When I was buying my F46 2-Series Gran Tourer, I was looking into various cycle carrier options. The salesman at my local BMW dealer warned against a tailgate-mounted carrier, because of the risk of damage to the plastic elements in the tailgate on most modern cars. But he said that he had even seen one of his customers bring back their BMW with a METAL tailgate where the edges of the METAL had been lifted up due to the force from the straps of a boot-mounted cycle carrier, which really surprised me. I suppose it depends how tightly you tighten the straps, how heavy the bikes are, potential shocks from bumps/damage in the road etc. Or do some BMW models have tailgates which are stronger than others?

I ended up going with the factory-fitted BMW "cycle carrier preparation", which is basically similar (perhaps even identical, I was never able to get a clear answer) to the preparation for removable towball. I then bought the removable cycle carrier towball which fits into it (similar to a regular towball, but with a couple of side protrusions on the ball head), and a second-hand BMW Original Cycle Carrier Pro 2.0. This solution worked well for me.

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”